Things proceed apace, as they are wont to do in this life. Words pile up, paragraph by paragraph, page by page, and it never seems to be enough. Worse, they never seem quite right. But still, things proceed. There’s probably a lesson there, but…eh.
Last week, I managed to finish up the first draft of Book #2 of 2017, bringing it in at just over 100,000 words. This one was a tough nut to crack, on a lot of levels. It seemed simple enough at the outset, but certain story elements proved a bit more difficult to wrangle than I anticipated. Too, the characters were fun to put through their paces, by and large, but I was left with the sense that I might need to flesh some of them out further. In any event, that’s a problem for the next draft. At the moment, I’m just glad it’s done.
Speaking of drafts, I also completed the second draft of Book #1. Luckily for me, there weren’t many changes to make. A few scenes needed to be expanded, some tertiary characters introduced earlier on in the narrative (Bellephus, you magnificent bastard with your fifteen total lines of dialogue across two books – you’re getting a bigger part in the third book, if there is one), and some stuff needed to be cut. Easy enough.
Well, not easy. Comparatively easy, I should say. It took time, effort and a lot of coffee to do, but I done did it and it be done.
Lastly, I’ve started work on a new novella for Black Library, featuring characters from my forthcoming novel, Hallowed Knights: Plague Garden. I’ve only just started this one – I’m only about 12,000 words in – but I’ve got to have it completed by the end of the month.
So that’s what I’ll be working on for the next week or two.